Striking that balance between periods of work and periods of play is necessary to keep the sounds of life alive.
Imagine a song that never changed — just the same one or two chords droning on and on — no progression, no tension, and definitely no release. That's not music, that's uninspired sound.
Right now, I'm in a period of tension, right before the first chorus. There's been lots of behind the scenes work I've been doing for All of the Above:
- Writing out all the steps needed to get an episode out. Not just the audio file itself, but also the show notes and accompanying graphics.
- Finding steps that can be eliminated, streamlined, or automated.
- Creating a template for guest invitations and guest promo kits.
- Mapping out marketing efforts organized around each episode, and for each media channel.
- Thinking about a community, and the best way to foster it — online and off.
Once the infrastructure is built, the chord structure for this song will be in place. Then it'll be time to figure out the percussion, the melody, and the lyrics. I just hope this is a good one.